In Arizona, parents who have sole custody of a child are prohibited from moving to another state unless they inform the non-custodial parent in advance.  Once they have been successfully informed, he or she can decide to pursue two options:

  • The non-custodial parent may grant consent to the move and work out a new visitation arrangement with the custodial parent.
  • The non-custodial parent may file a legal objection with a family court, protesting the move.

Our professionals at the Cantor Law Group represent Phoenix parents who are working through parental relocation issues.  We are available to help you in any relocation matter, whether the goal is to move with your child, or you are trying to keep your former spouse from moving away with your child.  After you speak with a Phoenix child custody attorney, we will be able to help you file a relocation objection or a notice of relocation as necessary.  The firm will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you get the results that are best for your child and your parental relationship.

Deciding Child Relocation Cases

The law dictates that parents who want to move away with their children have to inform the non-custodial parents at least 60 days in advance of the relocation.  After getting the notice, non-custodial parents have a 30-day window to decline the request.  If parents do not respond, the court will assume that they do not have an objection to the move and grant it.  Parents who do object have the choice, however, to file a formal objection in court.  After doing so, the judge will hold a hearing and interview both parents to decide which outcome is best for the child.  If you have skillful lawyers on your side, this can help you get a decision in your favor.

The Cantor Law Group has over 70 years of combined experience. With the Cantor Law Group on your side, you can be sure that you will receive skilled legal representation. Contact us today for a free consultation.